Study in Switzerland

Study in Switzerland

Switzerland is a wonderful place. It’s famous for chocolate and skiing, but it is also an amazing place to study. Studying in Switzerland offers a European experience in a developed, yet diverse country. With a variety of nations bordering the country, it’s a cultural melting pot, which makes it great for an inspiring study experience.

Why Study in Switzerland?

In total there are 12 general universities located in Switzerland and a smaller number of science and research specific higher education institutions. You will find eight of these universities in the QS World University Rankings, with the highest being ETH Zurich, ranked at number 10. Four of these universities are also listed in the top 100.

Switzerland regards education as hugely important in the day to day success of the country. It believes it is essential for its stability in terms of politics and its increase in wealth.There are a number of institutions which focus on specific subjects, making them highly specialised and an excellent choice for anybody who wants that extra focus.

Cost of Studying & Living in Switzerland

The currency in Switzerland is the Swiss Franc (CHF).

Tuition fees at Swiss universities are heavily subsidised by the Swiss government, meaning that public university fees are relatively low. A public institution will tend to charge between CHF 500 ($500 USD) and CHF 2,000 ($2,000 USD) per semester. Private universities will probably charge higher tuition fees, especially for international students. There are scholarships available, contact your chosen institution for more information about this.

It is also important that you consider your cost of living when budgeting for studying in Switzerland. The recommended budget for yearly living cost is between CHF 18,000 and CHF 28,000. Students who are from and EU/EEA country are permitted to work up to 15 hours per week during term time, with no limitations outside of term time. Students from any other country are permitted to work 6 months after the beginning of their studies. They will be issued a work permit. For more information about working during your studies, contact your chosen university.